The blogging task includes:
Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
Share 11 random facts about yourself.
Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
List 11 bloggers.
Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer, and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. Don’t nominate a blogger who has nominated you.
11 Random Facts
- I initially studied Commerce at Uni because that’s what my teachers told me I should do. I was bored and hated it, almost dropped out before switching to an Arts degree in Geography and History. Important lesson learned – always follow YOUR passions.
- Apart from holidays in Australia, my international travel has all been to with education. I have been on a scholarship to the UK, a field trip to Brazil and Chile and to a Geography Olympiad in Japan.
- As a young boy I wanted to grow up to be Maori. No idea why but it probably helped lead to me taking 4 years of Te Reo at Secondary School.
- My fellow staff at Hobsonville Point Secondary School have dubbed me the Excited Puppy – even to the point where my secret buddy made me #excitedpuppy IPA labels for my homebrew – due to how excited I get by educational awesomeness
- For years an avid reader of fiction, it is now rare for a fiction novel to take my interest ahead of nonfiction.
- As a teenager all ‘spare’ time was consumed by sports: swimming, cross country, surf lifesaving, triathlon, duathlon, waterpolo…
- I have been completely useless at all stereotypical male things around the house – building etc. – but over the past year have started enjoying some of these pursuits: building a large planter box, learning electronics through robotics, starting to become a maker!
- After a year of refereeing rugby I continued running twice a week at most, then completed the Auckland Half Marathon based only on that little training in 1 hour 50 minutes – If I ever attempt this again I will definitely train more.
- I consider Dan Raven-Ellison to be one of my closest work colleagues due to the work we do together on Guerrilla Geography Project but have never met him face to face. We met through twitter and have communicated over twitter, facebook, email, Skype and Google Hangout.
- I am not a fan of flowery plants in gardens. If it can’t be eaten, why grow it? Much prefer to be growing vegies, herbs etc.
- I am scared of heights but love freaking myself out on things like bungy swings etc. The ultimate was completing a Skydive over Lake Taupo a couple of years ago. This was such an awesome rush that I will definitely be doing it again!
My Questions from Matt:
- What inspired you to become a teacher? Whilst at Uni I was working part-time as a coach at North Shore Swim Club. So when wondering what to do after Uni I realised that I could combine my passion for Geography with my enjoyment at helping Teenagers improve at something and voila, teaching was a go!
- What is/are the biggest change/s you made to your teaching in 2013? A change of school was a big one! From a well established traditional Grammar School to being part of a foundation staff being able to create the culture of a school was a massive shift – bigger than most of us realised before starting. As part of this I really got to explore Design Thinking and consider this a big part of who I am as a teacher now.
- What is the best thing about being a teacher? The fact that out of all of my friends I am the one that wakes up amped on a work day and really look forward to my day!
- Which country do you most want to visit/revisit next? Why? Tanzania and Antarctica are top of my must visit list but I realise these are a long way off, not next to visit. I am off to Russia in 2015 for the International Geography Olympiad which will be an incredible experience. I have always wanted to visit here so am looking forward to seeing what it is actually like! Japan was brilliant when I visited last year and I would love to return there at some stage with my family so they can see how cool it is as well.
- What does Christmas mean to you? Bacon and Eggs on the BBQ, Family, Beach, Reading and masses of excitement from Miss 4
- What are your favourite films? I’m not specifying a number, but don’t go overboard… The Godfather (although the novel is even better), Remember the Titans, Supervolcano and Step Up 4 (for the bizarre looks it got me from other teachers who heard my Geography classes were studying it!). Current films don’t get a look in thanks in to Miss 4 unfortunately
- What type of music do you listen to? Not a big listener of music recently but am still stuck resolutely in the 90’s really: Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Beastie Boys, Sublime, Pearl Jam, NOFX, Fun Lovin Criminals etc.
- Film or theatre? Why? Film due to some horrific theatre experiences in the past topped off by an awful Opera where Captain Cook’s wife stumbled around on stage wailing for her husband
- What pet/s do you have? A 5 1/2 year old cat called Xena
- What are you looking forward to most in 2014? Birth of my 2nd child is top of the list (due end of May). Professionally, seeing our hopes for Hobsonville Point Secondary School become embedded practice
- If you had a million dollars but had to give it all away, what would you do with the money? (Presuming it can’t be given to my children) It would be split in half with $500K going to charities fighting poverty – Oxfam, LifeWise – and the other half forming 5 x $100K scholarships for a competition I would run looking for students with a real passion to change the world. The money would be earmarked for education, travel accommodation that they could prove would help them achieve their goals.
Tag! 11 Bloggers
- @coastiemoes (a new blogger this year!)
- @crispy_smith (a kickstart to put a 3rd post on his blog!)
Your 11 Questions:
- What was the best Edu book/blog/article you read last year? Why?
- Where is the strangest place you have visited?
- What is your hidden advantage that others don’t realise about you?
- What is your guilty pleasure?
- What is one nickname you have had?
- Do you have a pet hate?
- Which school that you have not visited would you most like to visit?
- Who/where/what do you turn to for inspiration or motivation?
- Lance Armstrong: Drug Cheat or Hero?
- Latest hobby that you started/developed?
- Favourite public holiday?